Research Higher Degrees
The University of Newcastle offers Research Higher Degrees in Natural History Illustration at Masters and PhD level. Applicants are assessed on their academic achievement in Natural History Illustration (or related area of study) and the availability of appropriate project supervision. Meritorious students may apply for scholarships.
Staff within the School of Design Communication and IT and across the Faculty of Science and IT encourage and support a multi-disciplinary approach to research in the area of Natural History Illustration.
Current Research Higher Degree Topics
Currently, RHD students are engaged in research as diverse as:
- Visualising the Dreamtime: Bringing the Dreamtime Alive Through Words and Pictures
- Exploring Connections Within and Beyond the Biblical Manuscripts of the Five Jewish Festival Scrolls - Illuminating them using Australian Wildlife Motifs
- Adapting Advanced Manufacturing Technology Used in Engineering for Use by Artists Producing Sculpture
Recently completed Masters by Research and PhD topics have included:
- The Art of Communicating Environmental Information
- The Exploration of Colour in Australian Flora and Fauna with Particular reference to Red
- The Relevance of Twenty-First Century Botanical Art and its Relation to Pre-Twentieth Century Perceptions
- The Pollination of Terrestrial Orchids in New South Wales Focusing on the Hunter Valley Region
- Wildlife Illustration as a Method of Transformative Education Within the Dora Creek Catchment