The University's Guidelines for Resourcing RHD Candidates is available here.
RHD Laptop Scheme
The University provides commencing RHD candidates with a laptop. Please refer to the RHD Laptop Scheme web page for further information.
Annual RTS Allocation
Each Faculty supports RHD candidates with a funding allocation of a minimum of $1500 per annum (pro-rata for part time candidates) for research purposes. The funding must be applied for and any expenditure approved by relevant School staff. Please contact your supervisor or School Executive Officer for further information on this scheme.
Essential Support Items
In accepting research higher degree candidates, the Faculty confirms that full-time, on-campus research higher degree candidates will be provided with the following:
- A desk and chair and dedicated workspace;
- A lockable filing cabinet;
- Access to a photocopier and printer on an appropriate* basis;
- Access to office facilities for the transmission and receipt of official telephone and facsimile messages and mail;
- Appropriate* access to computer facilities and software programs, and training to use such programs, as may be necessary for research and thesis preparation;
- Where necessary and appropriate* laboratory facilities (including consumables) and bench space;
- Adequate library access and free access through inter library loans.
(*appropriate means sufficient so that progress on the research project is not impinged.)
Part-time, on-campus candidates are provided with the same minimum level of resources as full-time students, except that access to a desk, chair, dedicated workspace and a lockable filing cabinet may need to be on a shared basis.
For external candidates, the level of resources to be provided is agreed between the candidate and the Faculty and documented at the time of enrolment or upon approval of off-campus enrolment.
For further information on allocation of these resources please contact your School. The Guidelines for Resourcing RHD Candidates can be viewed here.
Desirable and Optional Support Items
In addition to the above, your Faculty may, subject to available resources, be able to support you by providing:
- Grants-in-aid for expenses to attend conferences considered desirable and relevant; funding for preparation of manuscripts for publication;
- Other individual support as identified by you.
Any such additional needs must be discussed with your supervisor whose support will be necessary for further consideration of the request(s) by the Faculty.
Faculties have been requested to distribute details of the resources available to you. Information should be available from the Assistant Dean Research Training.