Computer Programmer» search for more Jobs
A computer program is basically the instructions for a computer to perform a function. Programs are written in source code in a programming language. A computer programmer not only designs and maintains computer software programs, but they also test (and retest!), debug, and rewrite these programs. In the majority of cases, the computer programmer also designs a graphical user interface (GUI) so that non-technical users can run the software through easy, point-and-click, menu-oriented modules. Proficiency in computer languages, critical analysis, quantitative skills, detailed knowledge of computers and electronics systems, communication skills, written and oral comprehension and ability to handle multitask-based information networks are some of the basic skills of computer programmers.
Programmers may perform the following tasks:
- assist systems analysts (hyperlink here) and/or designers (hyperlink here) in researching and documenting computer users' requirements
- analyse objectives and problems specified by analysts and/or designers
- translate the solutions provided by systems designers into detailed program specifications
- undertake program design activities including definition of data and error message arrangements
- modify and document program code to correct errors or to enhance a program's capabilities
- prepare reports on the status, operation and maintenance of system software for use by computer equipment suppliers, systems designers, other programmers and computer operators.