Introduction to Digital Communication
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
|UoN Singapore||Trimester 3|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Introduces students to a range of digital media forms and practices. It deals with some of the social, political and cultural implications of digital media, focusing particularly on the Internet. Students will also gain skills in the use of the Internet as a research tool for communication culture.
|Objectives||At the completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Competently use designated computer software and understand basic principles of web page design;
2. Demonstrate integrated creative, technical, and computer skills;
3. Use the Internet and World Wide Web as academic research tools;
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the social, political and cultural impacts of digital communication and the application of narrative and interactive design principles.
|Content||Students will be introduced to web page design and construction and will research the social, political, and cultural impacts of digital communication. During the production/workshop sessions students will:
1. gain an understanding of HTML via an HTML authoring program;
2. gain an understanding of graphic file formats suitable for web delivery;
3. develop Internet and World Wide Web research techniques;
4. develop an understanding of the social, political and cultural impacts of digital communication.
|Assumed Knowledge||As this is an introductory course there is no assumed knowledge but general computer competence is an advantage.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Computer Lab: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for CMNS1000|