Family Strengths and Challenges around the World
Available in 2013
|WebLearn GradSchool||Trimester 3|
A body of international research literature growing over more than 30 years indicates that what makes families strong and resilient from culture to culture, when compared to each other, are remarkably similar and give us common ground around the world upon which to unite and develop mutual understanding. This course provides a conceptual framework for studying global family strengths: discussing the diverse strengths, the challenges that families are likely to face regardless of location, and how families use their strengths to deal with the difficulties they are confronted with in life. The focus will be on the identified family strengths and challenges in 18 countries in all seven major geo-cultural areas of the world (Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Oceania, Latin America, North America, and Europe.
- Understand geo-cultural family strengths research methodology.
- Understand family strengths, community strengths, and cultural strengths from a global perspective.
- Compare and contrast the internal family dynamics or strengths of families in different cultures.
- Investigate the different and unique ways family strengths are demonstrated in a range of geocultural environments.
|Content||Through the course, students will discuss and investigate a survey of family strengths, community strengths, and cultural strengths of 18 countries in seven geo-cultural areas:
- Africa: South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, and Somali families
- The Middle East: Israel, Oman
- Asia: China, India, Republic of Korea
- Oceania: Australia, New Zealand
- Latin America: Mexico, Brazil
- North America: Canada, United States of America
- Europe: Russia, Greece, Romania
|Assumed Knowledge||Undergraduate degree in relevant discipline or equivalent professional experience in the field.|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for HLSC6509|