Neuroscience and Head and Neck Anatomy
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
This course aims to provide students with a thorough understanding of the anatomy of the structures that are involved in the production of speech. The course focuses on the anatomy, design and function of structures in the head, neck and thorax as they pertain to speech pathology. The course also includes the neural basis of sound production.
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Identify and apply anatomical terminology when describing the anatomy of the head and neck regions.
2. Identify major musculoskeletal elements of the skull; face; cervical and thoracic regions of the vertebral column; nasal cavity; oral cavity; pharynx and larynx.
3. Describe the structure and function of the musculoskeletal elements of the skull; face; cervical and thoracic regions of the vertebral column; nasal cavity; oral cavity; pharynx and larynx.
4. Describe the structure and function of the brain, spinal cord, neural pathways and cranial nerves.
5. Apply the knowledge gained in this course to describe the anatomical and neural mechanisms involved in respiration; swallowing; speech and hearing.
|Content||1. How to study anatomy
2. Skull and facial bones
3. Development of the Face
4. Facial muscles
5. Submandibular region
6. Infratemporal Region
7. Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ)
8. Ear and temporal bone
9. Histology of the ear
10. Nose and sinuses
11. Oral cavity, Palate
12. Pharynx and Larynx
14. Thorax and respiration
15. Vasculature of head and neck
16. Meninges of Brain
17. Spinal cord/Cranial Nerves
18. Brain Structure
19. Ascending and descending pathways
|Replacing Course(s)||HUBS1102 - Anatomy for Speech Pathology 10 units|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for .5 hour(s) per Week for 1 weeks
Laboratory: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for HUBS1107|