Society and Culture: A Sociological Introduction
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Introduces students to the sociological perspective through an exploration of contemporary social and cultural issues. Topics may include: socialisation and identity, sex and gender, race and ethnicity, class and social inequality, globalisation and work, deviance and social control, and media and popular culture. Key sociological concepts and theories are used to examine social patterns, social action and social change.
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of a range of sociological perspectives, concepts and research approaches.
2. Critically appraise and discuss the sociological literature.
3. Conduct planning of library research for assignments using information literacy skills.
4. Research and write an academic essay.
|Content||Course content will be drawn from a selection of the following topics:
1. What is sociology? Developing a 'sociological imagination'.
2. An overview of sociological perspectives and social research.
3. Socialisation and identity.
4. Sex and gender.
5. Race, racism, ethnicity and multiculturalism.
7. Work and unemployment.
8. Class and social inequality.
9. Deviance and social control.
10. Media and popular culture.
|Replacing Course(s)||Replaces SOCA101 Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology.|
|Transition||Students who have successfully completed SOCA101 Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology or SOCA101C Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology may not enrol in SOCA1010 Society and Culture: A Sociological Introduction.|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Email Discussion Group: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for SOCA1010|