Studies in Spirituality
Available in 2013
|UoN Broken Bay Instit - Online||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010
This course examines the core notions and practices of Christian spirituality from both historical and contemporary perspectives. It investigates the fundamental beliefs that shape Christian spirituality and explores the active dimensions of contemporary spirituality in the context of community and pastoral action.
|Objectives||Upon completion of this course students will be expected to:
1. Examine and discuss insights into traditional and contemporary understandings of Christian spirituality.
2. Discuss spirituality in a systematic way, with an awareness of the key issues and methodologies.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of Christian spiritual growth.
4. Examine the links between Christian spirituality and pastoral practice, with particular reference to morality, practice of justice and compassion.
5. Demonstrate knowledge in spirituality, which will provide a basis for further, and specialised, study in this area.
|Content||Themes will include:
Definitions of Spirituality - Christian and general;
Historical and cultural underpinnings of contemporary Christian spirituality; Variations in expression of contemporary spirituality;
Spirituality and holiness - dimensions of spirituality;
Spiritual growth and journey;
Concepts of prayer; concept of "mystery";
Community dimension of Spirituality;
Pastoral care interventions;
Spirituality, justice and Mission
It is expected that students will contribute to online discussions as a part of the assessment regime of the course. A selected bibliography featuring both classic and contemporary spiritual texts, and contemporary critical material will be provided for this unit.
|Replacing Course(s)||Not Applicable|
This course is available as an elective (if available withing postgraduate program).
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 130 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for THEO6016|