The University of Newcastle will release 7,712 Main Round Offers to undergraduate students today.
"A strong university delivers economic, social and cultural benefits to the region and its community and we are very pleased with the growing demand for places at the University of Newcastle," Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Services), Dr Sue Gould, said.
"This large number of offers reinforces the University's position as a leading teaching and learning environment and the university of first choice for the Newcastle, Hunter, Central Coast and Mid North Coast regions.
"The increasing student numbers demonstrate the University's growing strength in teaching innovation and providing access to higher education for disadvantaged groups.
"We continue to provide many opportunities for school leavers and people returning to study after a break. In 2010, 40 per cent of our Main Round Offers are to school leavers and 60 per cent are to non-school leavers.
"Students are strongly encouraged to accept their Main Round Offer without delay by visiting the University's Accept Your Offer website."
University Advisory Day
The University of Newcastle will hold an Advisory Day on Thursday 21 January 2010 for all prospective students, including those who did not receive a Main Round Offer from the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). Representatives from the University and TAFE NSW will be available to discuss options for study and pathways to University, including enabling programs.
- Callaghan campus, 3pm — 6pm in the Great Hall
- Central Coast campus, 3pm — 6pm in the Tourism and Hospitality building
- Port Macquarie campus, 3pm — 6pm in A Block
Prospective students who cannot attend the Advisory Day can visit the University of Newcastle's website or call 02 4921 5000 for more information.
Enquiries can also be emailed to the University at EnquiryCentre@newcastle.edu.au.
Detailed information about offers follows.
Total number of offers: 7,712* (Commonwealth Supported Places)
* This figure does also not include the offers made to full fee paying international students.
Number of offers: 6,084
Central Coast campus
Number of offers: 1,392
Port Macquarie campus
Number of offers: 134
Number of offers: 102
Most offers made to a degree program
558 offers made for Commonwealth Supported Places in the Bachelor of Arts at the Callaghan campus.
New undergraduate programs offered in 2010
Bachelor of Teaching (Primary)/Bachelor of Arts (Callaghan, Central Coast and Port Macquarie)
Bachelor of Teaching (Primary)/Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies (Callaghan and Central Coast)
Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts (Callaghan and Central Coast)
Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Fine Arts
Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Mathematics
Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Health & PE
Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Science
Diploma in Languages (Callaghan) and Diploma in Theology (Callaghan)
Offers to students who have completed a preparation (enabling) course at the University of Newcastle
- 671 offers to applicants who have completed the Open Foundation program at the University. Open Foundation is a program for people who have been out of the education system for some time and hope to study in an undergraduate degree program in the future.
- 292 offers to applicants who completed the Newstep program at the University. Newstep is a program for 17 — 21 year olds who experienced disadvantage in their upper schooling.
- Six offers to applicants who completed the Yapug program at the University. Yapug is a preparation program for Indigenous students.
Anticipated enrolments from offers:5,820
Number of degree programs offered: 81
Early February Round
Change of preferences for consideration in the Early February Round of offers close on Tuesday 26 January. Early February Round offers will be made on Wednesday 3 February.
Applications through UAC for consideration in the Final Round of offers close on Thursday 4 February. Final Round offers will be made on Wednesday 10 February.