Advisor to the Malaysian National Security Council and local graduate, Dato’ Ir Dr Abu Bakar Bin Jaafar, has been awarded the University of Newcastle Alumni Convocation Medal for professional excellence.
The award was one of eight Alumni Awards presented to graduates from across the world recognising their outstanding achievements.
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Nick Saunders, said the annual Alumni Awards were an opportunity for the whole city to celebrate the success of its graduates.
“The 2011 awards demonstrate once again that Newcastle graduates are leading in their fields globally. It is always an honour to pay tribute to their achievements.”
Dato’ Ir Dr Jaafar, a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) graduate, is an environmental scientist who was a senior advisor to the Malaysian government for more than two decades. In retirement, Dato’ Ir Dr Jaafar remains instrumental in setting Malaysia’s environmental agenda through his work at the United Nations.
University of Newcastle 2011 Alumni Award winners include:
• National leadership – Denise Goldsworthy, Managing Director Rio Tinto and 2010 Telstra Business Woman of the Year
• Newton John Award – Julie Squires, internationally recognised sculptor
• International Leadership – Peter Tay, President Singapore Food Industries Limited and Dr Andrew Mears, Principle Consultant, Majority World Technology Ltd
• Regional Leadership – Dr Anne Wakatama, General Manager Health Services the Royal Flying Doctor Service and Mohammed Faiz Kamaludin, Malaysian Airlines Captain and part of Malaysia’s Astronaut Program
• Exceptional Community Service – Associate Professor Pauline Chiarelli, Australia’s first Physiotherapist Continence Advisor
• Indigenous – Dr Sarah McEwan, rural general practitioner working in Indigenous health
• Young Alumni – Dr Nikola Bowden, University of Newcastle researcher into improved diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
President of Alumni, Brian Kennaugh, said each of the winners were an inspiration for students.
“Each distinguished winner has had a major impact on the world and displayed the highest standard of professional excellence, creativity and innovation.”
For interviews please contact Tess Campbell, Media and Public Relations,
02 4921 8714.