The University of Newcastle has appointed leading business and organisational development researcher and academic, Professor Richard Dunford, to the position of Pro Vice-Chancellor of the Faculty of Business and Law.
Professor Dunford is currently Head of the Discipline of International Business, and Professor of Business Strategy at the University of Sydney Business School.
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Caroline McMillen, said the University was fortunate to have secured a candidate of such high calibre to lead the Faculty of Business and Law.
“Professor Dunford has led the development of teaching and research in business-related disciplines in major universities in NSW and New Zealand for more than two decades. During his time as Dean of the Macquarie School of Management, it was ranked number 1 in Australia and Asia, and in the top 50 in the world by the Economist Intelligence Unit.”
Researching in the areas of strategic management, organisational design, organisational change and organisational discourse, Professor Dunford has produced more than 90 publications, including papers in leading international journals.
“As a result of his research standing, Professor Dunford was selected by the Australian Government as a panel member for its national Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) exercise. He has also served on review committees for EQUIS – the international business school accreditation body – in Asia and Europe,” Professor McMillen said.
“Professor Dunford brings extensive knowledge, experience and professional connections to Newcastle that will significantly contribute to the next important phase of the development of teaching and research in business and in law.”
Education and career highlights:
• 1973 - 79: Graduated with Bachelor of Commerce and BA (Hons) from the Victoria University of Wellington before completing his PhD at the Australian National University, Canberra
• 1980 - 93: Charles Sturt University and the University of Technology (Sydney)
• 1994: Appointed Professor of Management and Chairperson, Department of Management at Victoria University of Wellington
• 1998: Appointed Associate Professor of Management, Macquarie Graduate School of Management at Macquarie University
• 2000 - 05: Interim Dean at the Macquarie Graduate School of Management
• 2008: Appointed Head of International Business, and Professor of Business Strategy at the University of Sydney Business School
Professor Dunford will commence in the position from 16 July 2012.
Contact information: For interviews with Professor McMillen or Professor Dunford please contact Carmen Swadling, Media and Public Relations, on 02 4985 4276.