Alumni Award winners announced
A fashion designer, a clinical neurologist, and a philanthropist are just three of the exceptional University of Newcastle graduates named recipients in this year’s Alumni Awards.
The Awards recognise professional excellence, innovation, creativity, exceptional leadership and
those who inspire others in a range of fields through local, national or international service.
The recipients of all eight categories were announced last night during a gala dinner at
Newcastle City Hall.
Norwegian-born designer and businesswoman, Ms Linda Bergskas, took out the Newton-John
Award, presented to a graduate displaying innovation or creativity that improves life.
Ms Bergskas, who graduated from the University with a Bachelor of Visual Communication
Design in 2002, is behind the rising fashion label Guanabana, which debuted at Australian
Fashion Week in 2010.
Guanabana is now a global brand stocked in more than 100 stores in Australia, Japan, the US
and Norway. The label has been worn by high-profile celebrities including tennis champion
Serena Williams and model Jennifer Hawkins.
• Young Alumni Award – Dr Glenn Platt (Theme leader, Local Energy Systems, CSIRO)
• Indigenous Alumni Award – Dr Donna Odegaard (Chief Executive, Radio Larrakia Darwin)
• Alumni Award for Exceptional Community Service – Ms Jennie Thomas (Philanthropist)
• Alumni Award for Regional Leadership – Dr Frances Gentle (Lecturer, Vision Impairment, Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children)
• Alumni Award for National Leadership – Dr Peter Halliday (Founder and Managing Director, Elite IT Services)
• Alumni Award for International Leadership – Ms Tiffany See (Executive Director, Human
Resources, Commercial Business Unit, Dell Inc.)
• Alumni Medal joint winners – Professor David Currow (Chief Executive Officer, Cancer Institute NSW) and Associate Professor Mark Parsons (Senior Staff Specialist in Neurology, John Hunter Hospital; Associate Professor in Medicine; and Director, HMRI Stroke Research Program).
For more information about the winners visit: http://blogs.newcastle.edu.au/?p=520
For more information contact University of Newcastle Media and Public Relations Officer
Megan Cunneen on 02 4985 4049.