Conjoint Professor Chris Levi - Selected Publications
Levi, C.R., O’Malley, H.M., Fell, G., Roberts, A.K., Hoare, M.C., Royle, J.P., Chan, A., Beiles, B.C., Chambers, B.R., Bladin, C.F., Donnan, G.A. Transcranial Doppler detected cerebral microembolism following carotid endarterectomy: high microembolic signal loads predict postoperative cerebral ischaemia. Brain 120:621-629, 1997.
First description of the application of transcranial Doppler embolus detection to the identification of patients at high risk of stroke following carotid surgery. Original concept and 100% contribution.
Levi, C.R, Stork, J.L., Chambers, B.R., Abbott, A.L., Cameron, H.M., Peters, A., Royle, J.P., Roberts, A.K., Fell, G., Hoare, M.C., Chan, A.T.W., Donnan, G.A. Dextran reduces embolic signals after carotid endarterectomy. Ann Neurol. 50:544-547, 2001
First description of the use of Doppler embolic signals as an intermediate outcome measure for clinical trials of antithrombotics.
Abbott, A.L., Chambers, B.R., Stork, J.L., Levi, C.R., Bladin, C.F., Donnan, G.A., Embolic Signals and Prediction of Ipsilateral Stroke or TIA in Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis: A Multicentre Prospective Cohort Study. Stroke 36(6):1128-1133, 2005.
First large scale prospective study that has examined the value of embolus detection in the identification of patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis who may be at high stroke risk and thereby warrant consideration for carotid surgery.
Parsons MW, Pepper EM, Chan V, Siddique S, Rajaratnam S, Bateman GA, Levi CR. Perfusion computed tomography: Prediction of final infarct extent and stroke outcome. Ann Neurol. 58:672-9, 2005.
One of the first publications to demonstrate the ultility of novel CT perfusion techniques in evaluating stroke outcome.
- International invited addresses Invited speaker at the World Congress of Neurology, Sydney, 2005, The World Stroke Congress, Vancouver, 2004, Stroke Society of Australasia, 2003-2005.
- National Heart Foundation Dudley Homer Vose Research Award for the outstanding project grant 2005
- Peter Bladin Young Investigator award; Stroke Society of Australasia;1994
- Robert Seikert Young Investigator award from the American Heart Association;1999.
- Gold Ribbon Award. Health Services Re-design Project. Hunter Health 2002