William Bowmore Undergraduate Scholarship in Cello for Continuing Students
Dr William Bowmore
This scholarship was established to promote the development of cello study through undergraduate degrees at the University of Newcastle. Dr William Bowmore has established this scholarship to share his great love of music and the arts in the Hunter Valley Region. In 2002 Dr Bowmore was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Newcastle (Australia) and an Order of Australia 'for service to the arts as a collector, donor, benefactor and patron of galleries in Australia, and to young musicians as a teacher and sponsor of concerts and scholarships.' He has been an active supporter of the Newcastle Conservatorium since 1952.
In 2004 Dr Bowmore donated $250,000 to the University of Newcastle to establish the William Bowmore Endowment Fund to support scholarships in Cello.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in Bachelor of Music or Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Arts or any degree combining Bachelor of Music (including Honours)
- Be an Australian Citizen or Be a Permanent Resident
- Be a resident of Newcastle, the Hunter Region or the Central Coast
If this documentation is not provided your application will not be processed.
After you have submitted your application, please print off the cover sheet provided and attach a copy of each piece of required documentation to it before sending in.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- A written statement, (one page only) on how you will use the money to further your music education, your plans and your career aspirations
|Scholarship Amount: $2,000||Number of scholarships available: 1|
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of applicants submitting a written statement which includes:
* one (1) page on how they will use the money to further their music education, their plans and career aspirations;
* current curriculum vitae;
Applicants must perform a cello recital lasting a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of 20 minutes. The recital must include one movement from a Bach solo suite and two or three contrasting pieces of the student's choice.
University of Newcastle
Phone: (02) 49216404 or (02) 49216539
Fax: (02) 49216937