Third year projects
The students were tasked with completing a range of exciting designs that involve combining knowledge from many different disciplines. These included the following projects:
- Microprocessor Controlled Synchronous Machine
- Exercise Bike with Heart Rate Control
- Electrical Assist Bicycle
- Autonomous Intruder Detection Vehicle
- Warehouse Robots
- Robotic Arm Playing Tic Tac Toe
- Optimal Capacitor Charging Controller Design
- Energy Efficient Smart Home System Development, Smart Appliances or Smart Phone Applications
- Helicopter Control
While completing their projects, the students have noted the difference between a design and its practical implementation. One student remarked, "You can plan it and simulate it but when you built it, it can be a lot different."
Others have stressed the importance of preparation, research and teamwork as well as the difficulties that can be caused when bringing different parts of the work together. While the tasks have been quite challenging, completing these mini-projects has helped them to gain some perspective and a bit of practice for the final year projects they will tackle next year.