The Wind Energy Group has pioneered new developments in wind turbine technology ever since its genesis over a decade ago. Our work is primarily devoted to small wind turbines, addressing the following issues:
- Fatigue and blade life problems because of the higher rotational speeds of small wind turbine blades when compared to large turbines;
- The need to ensure good energy extraction at low wind speeds;
- The extra complications associated with the free yaw arrangements common to small wind turbines;
- Optimisation methods for blade designs; and
- Development of manufacturing techniques to ensure tight geometrical tolerances on physically small blades.
Anemometer Calibration Service
A wind tunnel facility has been developed to calibrate cup anemometers to the exacting standards required by the wind industry. We are currently in the process of gaining NATA accreditation for this facility.
A summary of this facility is available as a Microsoft® Powerpoint® Presentation (PPT 1.48mb