Tectonics and Earth Resources Research Group
Current Research Interests
In broadest terms, our research examines the lithospheric processes that form the physical environment in which we live. This research is achieved within a plate tectonic framework that focuses on the formation and dispersal of continents. Within this framework, we aim to identify specific tectonic settings which enable us to understand growth of the Australian continent.
- To achieve this aim, we are focussing on the following lines of research:
- magma generation and granite emplacement;
- relation of magmatism to metamorphism and crustal deformation;
- physical processes and consequences of volcanism and sedimentation;
- physical and chemical controls on the formation of natural resources, including metals, petroleum and coal.