Computer labs for teaching
IT Services manages and provides up-to-date computer facilities (hardware and software) to support teaching and learning activities.
Standard Computer Teaching Laboratories and Student Computing areas are located at :
- Callaghan campus
- Ourimbah campus
- Newcastle City locations including City Precinct and DMB
IT Services’ staff also support a number of specialist (non-standard) computer teaching laboratories for use by specific Faculties.
Software in the teaching labs
Software loaded onto Computer Teaching Laboratory computers is updated prior to the start of each teaching period (semester). Requests for additional software outside these update periods will be placed in a queue and attended to as time and resources permit.
Installed software will be available for testing by academics 2 weeks prior to the start of each Semester
Computer Teaching Laboratories may be available for examinations, subject to negotiation with Examinations and Graduations, and IT Services
Academic staff using the computer teaching laboratories have a number of responsibilities and must:
- Notify IT Services by 1st December (for semester 1) and 1st July (for semester 2) of any software or hardware requirements for computer teaching laboratories
- Provide licenced copies of software for use in computer teaching laboratories (if software is not covered by a University site licence)
- Test their software packages installed for use in Computer Teaching Laboratories
- Report broken equipment to the 17triplezero IT Service Desk
IT Services does not :
- Make bookings for the Computer Teaching Laboratories - lecturers should contact their Faculty Timetabling Officer to ensure bookings are made to meet their requirements
- Make bookings for the use of the Computer Teaching Laboratories in support of exams – lecturers need to contact Examinations and Graduations to discuss their requirements
- Support Audio visual equipment within the Computer Teaching Laboratories which is installed, maintained and managed by the Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL) – Teaching Space Support Team
- Supply or support photocopiers in Computer Teaching Laboratories
- Manage or maintain Computer Teaching Laboratories and general access student computers at partner locations such as Port Macquarie or Singapore campus– staff and students should check with their local IT support team.
Contact the 17triplezero IT Service Desk
Monday - Friday