Student ID Cards
Your student ID card is your passport to our libraries, computer access, and transport concessions.
Your card remains current for the duration of your enrolment at the University of Newcastle.
To obtain a student ID card you will need to attend a Student Hub, provide the required identification and have a photograph taken.
Please note – head coverings are not permitted to be worn, except for religious reasons, in which case facial features from the bottom of your chin to the top of your forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown. The University will take every measure possible to ensure privacy for students wearing head coverings for religious reasons.
If you are studying via distance please complete a Student ID Card Mail Request form. Information on the photo and identification documents required are contained on this form (see below).
Port Macquarie campus students also need to complete a Student Card Mail Request Form. Port Macquarie Hub staff will take photos up to the commencement of semester 1 after which time students are required to fill in the form, supply a certified passport photo and certified identification requirements directly to the Hub.
- Student ID Card Mail Request form (Distance students and Port Macquarie students only)
- a current Australian Driver's Licence, or
- a valid Passport, or
- an RTA Proof of Age Card
If you do not have any of these forms of identification you will need to provide two items from the following list:
- Birth Certificate (not extract)
- Student identification card issued by an educational institution
- Pension or Government Health Care Card
- Government issued licence
- Medicare card
- Credit card
- Financial institution cash card or passbook
- Council rates notice
- Electricity, gas or telephone bill
- Tax assessment notice
- Foreign Driver’s Licence
- Membership card (e.g. club, library)
- Rental receipt or statement from landlord or real estate agent
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Name and address verified from electoral role
- Deed poll registered with the relevant authority.
Under 18s Only
- a current Australian Driver’s Licence, or
- Birth certificate (not extract), or
- Valid passport, or
- Citizenship certificate
If you are a domestic full time student, you may be entitled to travel concessions. You will need to obtain a new travel concession sticker each year for your Student ID card. New stickers are available from January each year from the Student Hubs.
If your pattern of attendance changes it may affect your transport concessions and you may need to apply for a new card.
Please Note: Travel concessions are not available to International students, however may be eligible for travel discounts for public transport in NSW. These are available to purchase at the following locations:
Further information including cost and discount can be found at International Student Travel Discount