Dr Christopher ( Chris ) Falzon
|Work Phone||(02) 4921 5184|
|Fax||(02) 4921 6928|
School of Humanities and Social Science
The University of Newcastle, Australia
Dr Chris Falzon joined the Philosophy staff in 2001, after holding a position at the ANU. His primary research interests are in ethics and social and political philosophy, especially in connection with 20th century continental thought; and also philosophy and film. Dr Falzon has published books in the areas of the philosophy of Michel Foucault, and Philosophy of Film, as well as numerous journal articles. [B.A. PhD.]
- PhD, Australian National University, 1990
- Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University
Fields of Research
Centres and Groups
Body relevant to professional practice.
- Philosophy representative - Australian Universities Europe Network
- Board member - Society of Philosophy for the Young
Committee/Associations (relevant to research).
- Board member - Australasian Association for Phenomenology and Social Philosophy
- Editorial Board Member - Ethics in Film (online journal)
- Editorial Board member - Foucault Studies (electronic journal)
- Editorial Board Member - Philosophical Films (website)
Existentialism; Marx, Nietzsche and Foucault; Kant, Freedom and the Self; Freedom, Self and Society; Doubt and Certainty.
Philosophy of the Enlightenment; Enlightenment and its Discontents; Philosophies of History; Critiques of Modernity; Kant and the Frankfurt School; Power and Subjectivity; Topics in Ancient, Medieval and Modern Philosophy; Moral Theory: History and Problems; Applied Ethics; Human Values and Commercial Practice; Philosophy and Film, Hume; Ideas, Causality and Personal Identity (Issues from Locke and Hume); Philosophy of Science; Existentialism: Literature and Philosophy
Business, Ethics and Values.
- Contempory Continental Philosophy
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Philosophy and Film