Dr Jane Maguire
School of Nursing and Midwifery
The University of Newcastle, Australia
|Office||RW-2-39, Richardson Wing|
Dr Maguire is an Early Career Researcher and Senior Lecturer Academic in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. Her key research interests are in stroke epidemiology and outcome and the genetics of stroke. She has 12 years experience as a clinical researcher working in medical and nursing observational and genetic epidemiology research and has experience in the design, conduct and management of large scale international clinical research, in particular case-control studies. She also has experience in survey design and development, and interview and focus group methodologies. She is the national manager of a current NHMRC project grant conducting the first Australian Genome Wide Association study in Ischaemic stroke and sits on the management and steering committees for this national and international multi-centre collaboration. Dr Maguire was recently awarded a prestigious HMRI Pulse Education Prize, and is currently launching a program of stroke research within the School of Nursing and Midwifery..
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Newcastle, 2010
- Bachelor of Nursing (Honours), University of Newcastle, 2000
- Graduate Certificate in Child & Adolescent Health, NSW College of Nursing, 1996
- Bachelor of Arts, University of New England, 1995
- Biostatistics-genetic association studies
- Case control studies
- Gene-environment interaction analysis
- Genetic Epidemiology
- Qualitative methods- phenomenology, thematic analysis
- Research Program Leader
- Stroke Epidemiology and Research
- Stroke Genetic Research
Her key research interests are in stroke epidemiology and outcome and the genetics of stroke.
Dr Maguire is currently collaborating with the International Stroke Genetics Consortium (ISGC) as a member of and the National manager for , the Australian Stroke Genetics Collaboration (ASGC). These collaborations include the ISGC Belgium group, led by Prof Vincent Thijs; ISGC Edinburgh group, led by Prof Cathy Sudlow; ISGC Boston group, led by Dr Natalia Rost; ISGC London based Metastroke group, led by Prof Hugh Markus; ISGC USA group, led by Prof Bard Worrell; ISGC Maryland USA group, led by Prof Braxton Mitchell.
Nationally, Dr Maguire is collaborating with an ASGC member based in Townsville as an associate investigator on 2011 funded NHMRC grant ID 1011649 for a study titled 'Role of Tenascin-C and TLR-4 in carotid atherosclerosis related stroke'.
Fields of Research
|110299||Cardiovascular Medicine And Haematology Not Elsewhere Classified||50|
|111599||Pharmacology And Pharmaceutical Sciences Not Elsewhere Classified||50|
Centres and Groups
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- PRC - Priority Research Centre for Translational Neuroscience and Mental Health (CTNMH)
Committee/Associations (relevant to research).
- Member - School of Nursing and Midwifery Research Committee
- Fellow - Priority Research Centre Brain and Mental Health
- Member - Stroke Society of Australasia
- Clinical supervision
- Online Course Development
- Program Convenor
- Undergraduate Course Development
- Undergraduate Teaching