A/Prof. Michael Arthur-Kelly
|Work Phone||(02) 4921 6284|
|Fax||(02) 4921 6939|
School of Education
The University of Newcastle, Australia
|Office||SE24, Special Education Centre|
My research has focused on the needs of individuals with multiple and severe disability. Communication intervention and behaviour support are two main strands of this research, informed by behaviour state assessment. The needs of these people are very high and the social justice aspects of their situation are highly significant.
I have also branched into related areas such as professional needs and characteristics of staff working in disability support. Most recently, I have collaborated in an investigation of the effectiveness of a high technology augmentative communication device for a young child with complex communication needs.
- PhD, Macquarie University, 1999
- Master of Arts, Macquarie University, 1990
- Bachelor of Arts, Macquarie University, 1981
- Diploma in Education, Macquarie University, 1981
- positive behaviour support
Communication intervention for people with severe disability, challenging behaviour, behavior state assessment for individuals with profound and multiple disability, inclusion
My goal is to work with educators and other support personnel in a partnership to improve outcomes for children and students with a range of additional needs. My major research collaboration over time has been with Professor Phil Foreman with respect to communication supports for individuals with severe disability. However I have also collaborated with the NSW DET and ADHC, as well as other stakeholders.
Fields of Research
|130399||Specialist Studies In Education Not Elsewhere Classified||50|
|139999||Education Not Elsewhere Classified||25|
|130199||Education Systems Not Elsewhere Classified||25|
Centres and Groups
- Editor - Australasian Journal of Special Education
- Member of Editorial Board - International Journal of Disability, Development and Education
- Member of Board - Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities
- Editorial Consultant - Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability
- Editor - Special Education Perspectives
Course co-ordination, committee memberships
- classroom management
- instructional design
instructional design, curriculum-based assessment, classroom management, behaviour change
My main focus in teaching is case application: how can evidence-based strategies be utlised to achieve optimal outcomes for learners?