Dr Rachel Burke
|Work Phone||(02) 4921 6707|
|Fax||(02) 4921 7887|
School of Education
The University of Newcastle, Australia
|Office||HA113, Hunter Building|
- PhD, University of Queensland, 2004
- Graduate Certificate in Education (TESOL), University of Queensland, 2000
- Master of Educational Studies (TESOL), University of Queensland, 2000
- Bachelor of Arts, Australian Catholic University, 1998
- Discourse Analysis, Cultural Studies, Sociolinguistics, Sociology of Education
My research work has included: examining cultural and linguistic issues associated with international student enrolment at Australian tertiary institutions, exploring the metaphoric uses of the 'family home' image in the Australian print media's discussion of immigration, and currently, an analysis of media representations of plagiarism within the Australian international student program.
Fields of Research
|130399||Specialist Studies In Education Not Elsewhere Classified||100|
- Sociolinguistics, Curriculum, Sociology, Asian/Australian Studies, Second Language Acquisition, Intercultural Communication
I teach in the areas of TESOL and language learning, sociology of education, and cultural studies.