Prof. Robin Callister
|Work Phone||(02) 4921 5650|
|Fax||(02) 4921 2084|
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy
The University of Newcastle, Australia
|Office||ATC Level 3, Atc Building Level 3|
- PhD, Ohio University - USA, 1989
- Bachelor of Pharmacy, University of Sydney
- Master of Science, Ohio University - USA
- Depression and exercise
- Obesity and weight loss
- Stroke and exercise
- Type 2 diabetes and exercise
- cardiovascular physiology
- exercise and immunology
- exercise and nutrition
- exercise physiology
- sports injuries
- sports physiology
I have research expertise in a number of areas of physiology and exercise science. Two major areas of research are in:
- Cardiovascular function relating to occupational health or adaptations to exercise training, and
- Musculoskeletal health relating to exercise performance and injury prevention.
In addition, I have two major areas of collaboration in research: exercise and immunology; exercise and nutrition. Also involved in 3 new research initiatives: pain and blood pressure regulation; how exercise protects the heart from psychological stress; using the internet to support weight loss programs in overweight populations.
Extensive experience in research higher degree student training: supervised 11 RHD students to completion (4 PhD, 3 Masters, 4 Honours) and currently supervising 4 PhD and 2 Masters by research students.
Fields of Research
|110600||Human Movement And Sports Science||30|
Centres and Groups
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- PRC - Priority Research Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition
Body relevant to professional practice.
- Registed Pharmacist since 1976 - NSW Pharmacy Registration Board
Committee/Associations (relevant to research).
- ORganising National conference - AUPS Organising Committee for 2007 Conference
- Member - American College of Sports Medicine
- Member - Australian Neuroscience Society
- Member - Australian Physiological Society
- Member - International Society of Exercise and Immunology
- Member - Sports Medicine Australia
Leadership roles as Head of Human Physiology, Deputy Chair of Education Committee, Member of School Executive
Representative roles on Faculty and School Boards
Extensive experience in course coordination (2-6 courses per year over 15 years)
Director, Board of University Sports and Aquatic Centre (FORUM)
- clinical exercise physiology
- exercise physiology
- sports science
Major areas of teaching are physiology (particularly cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal), exercise physiology (clinical exercise, physiology, work physiology, exercise physiology, sport physiology); exercise science (sports training, fitness testing, drugs in sport; exercise and immunology; exercise and reproductive function; exercise and nutrition) and pathophysiology.
Experience in lectures (formal and informal; design, development and delivery), laboratory sessions (design, development and delivery) and tutorials (conventional; problem-based). Extensive experience in research higher degree student training: supervised 11 RHD students to completion (4 PhD, 3 Masters, 4 Honours) and currently supervising 4 PhD and 2 Masters by research students.
- Paediatric Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Physiology and Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Work (occupational) physiology
- Exercise and Sports Science (exercise testing, training program design, ergogenic aids & drugs in sport)
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Master of Occupational Health and Safety
- Bachelor of Teaching/Bachelor of Health and Physical Education