Transport Operations Manager» search for more Jobs
Transport Operations Managers are responsible delivering freight or passenger transport operations including planning routes and schedules to ensure on time delivery in the most cost effective way for the business. They take a hands-on role in ensuring that management strategies and processes are carried out, responding to and reporting back to management on problems or issues that arise. Typical duties include:
- Managing staff such as drivers, supervisors and administration staff, coordinating staff training and managing staff performance
- Monitoring operational performance and budgets against KPIs and compiling reports for management
- Developing and implementing more efficient procedures
- Managing fleet maintenance to ensure that vehicles are roadworthy
- Managing contacts with customers to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction by addressing any issues as they arise and seeking new business opportunities
A thorough understanding of the supply chain process and factors contributing to its success is integral to this role. Managers must be able to multi-task and work under pressure. They should possess good time management and organisational skills to plan schedules and meet deadlines. They also require excellent communication and interpersonal skills to deal with customers and advanced people management and leadership skills to motivate staff, as well as excellent knowledge of occupational health and safety issues.
Tertiary qualifications are not essential to be a Transport Operations Manager but a degree in logistics, supply chain management, transport management or business management would enhance employment prospects. Extensive industry experience is almost always required.
principal Employment Sectors and Industry
Transport Operations Managers work in the transport and logistics sector or for manufacturing companies, retailers or couriers.