- APPLICATIONS FOR LIVE IT! ARE NOW OPENSUNDAY 15 TO THURSDAY 19 DECEMBER 2013> Click here for more info
SUNDAY 15 TO THURSDAY 19 DECEMBER 2013
LIVE IT!, held at The University of Newcastle's Callaghan campus from 15 - 19 December 2013, is a five day residential university experience for male students in Year 9 from equity target groups. LIVE IT! is designed to inspire students to build upon their potential to succeed in years 10, 11 and 12 and expose them to a wide range of study and career options that exist for HSC graduates.
LIVE IT! targets male students who live in NSW from Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIISRTE) defined Student Equity Target Groups.
These are Indigenous and non-Indigenous students:
- with a disability
- from low socio-economic backgrounds
- from remote and regional areas
- from non-English speaking backgrounds
- who are experiencing exceptional circumstances
- Learn more about a variety of subjects and degrees through practical and fun activities,
- Find out about the career options a university degree can give them
- Have increased confidence in their skills and abilities
- Have the chance to make up to 100 new mates
- Spend five days in Newcastle, living on campus like a real uni student.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT?
Students will experience life on campus - just like a real uni student. They will stay on campus (fully supervised) in secure university accommodation. Students will follow a timetable and complete activities that expose students to study and career options in lecture theatres, laboratories and classrooms on campus. They will also undertake field trips to local organisations to see their possible future careers in action. For the complete university experience there is the fun stuff too including a visit to the Forum Sports and Aquatic Centre.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
LIVE IT! is supported by Commonwealth Equity funds with most expenses covered, including accommodation, all meals and excursions. Students do have to pay a non-refundable attendance fee of $50 (Incl. GST). They are also responsible for all travel costs to and from Newcastle. In cases of financial hardship, assistance will be considered on written application.