Workers' Compensation

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is Workers Compensation?

A. If you are injured or develop an illness through the course of your employment and your work is determined to be a substantial contributing factor to your injury or illness, you may be eligible to receive Workers Compensation benefits in relation to the Injury under the Workers Compensation Act 1987 and the Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 that provides a system of compensation for workplace injuries, and assists injured workers to return to work.

Q. Who is Eligible to Claim?

A. Anyone who is a 'worker' or 'deemed worker' under the Act, is eligible to lodge a compensation claim. Lodging a claim does not imply any commitment to the acceptance of the claim or of liability.

A 'worker' includes:

  • those who work for an employer under an oral or written contract of service or apprenticeship;
  • ‘deemed’ workers;
  • full-time, part-time or casual workers.

Full definitions are available from this link.

Q. When Do I Claim?

A. Benefits are payable when a worker suffers an injury or contracts a disease which arises out of, or in the course of, their employment where the employment is a substantial contributing factor.

Workers compensation benefits may also be payable for injuries received while a worker is travelling where there is a substantial connection between the person's employment and the incident out of which the injury arose or during an authorised recess, providing the worker did not expose themselves to any abnormal risk of injury. 

Q. How Do I Claim?

A. If an accident, injury or illness occurs it is a University requirement that an Incident Report be completed and submitted to the Health & Safety Team within 24 hours of the accident, injury or illness occurring. This report does not constitute a claim for workers compensation, but is part of the workers' compensation process.

If medical treatment is required in relation to the injury or illness, or the worker loses any time from work, the worker is eligible to lodge a claim for workers compensation. On receipt of a University Incident Report or a WorkCover Medical Certificate indicating a significant injury or time lost from work, the Workers' Compensation Coordinator will contact the worker to explain the claims' process.

If you believe you may be eligible to lodge a workers compensation claim please contact the Workers' Compensation Coordinator on 492 17720.