2012 Your Voice Sample Survey
The results are in!
In September 2012, UoN conducted a Your Voice survey with a representative sample of staff to gauge the staff experience and provide measurement of staff engagement across key performance indicators.
I am delighted to report the survey results show that staff feel there is a positive culture at the University, that they do see their future is here and that they are committed to staying. Our score of 77% on the Passion/Engagement scale was above that of our natural peers (75%), and was an improvement from previous surveys in 2010 (73%) and 2007 (68%).
Following the development of the NeW Directions Strategic Plan 2013-2015, more staff have expressed that they have a clear sense of purpose. Some 87% of staff said that they understand the goals and objectives of the University and that they recognise how their job contributes to the University's overall success. 84% of us believe in the mission and values of the University. We have also seen a positive shift in how staff view the organisation's direction with 64% having a favourable view - an improvement of 21% on our last survey.
Overall, the results reveal UoN is similar to our benchmark group. In broad terms:
- Challenges for UoN tend to be similar to those across the sector
- UoN made strong progress in a number of key areas.
Importantly, and as it should, the Your Voice survey identifies areas for improvement. Six University actions for improvement have been identified based on the feedback and are being built into all levels of corporate planning for 2013.
- Improve communication with staff by actively registering staff feedback, and promote better communication across all sections of UoN.
- Increase consultation with staff and encourage their involvement, particularly around decisions that may affect their day-to-day activities.
- Increase time and effort spent on career planning and ensure there are appropriate opportunities for career progression.
- Build a respectful and collaborative workplace where unacceptable behaviour is not tolerated and ensure that there are effective procedures in place to handle staff complaints.
- Review recruitment and selection processes to ensure leaders are clear about the people that are required, and match the right people with the right jobs.
- Ensure that performance appraisal processes provide clear guidelines for improvement.
Some strategies to address the above are already underway through the NeW Directions Strategic Plan 2013- 2015, and over the next few months you will see specific actions appearing in the Corporate Plans of every Faculty and Division. PVCs and DVCs have received the results from their areas and will be holding fora for their staff over the next few months, so make sure you attend the forum for your area.
To see the results of the 2012 Your Voice Sample Survey for yourself, go to the 2012 Your Voice Sample Survey website.
We will be running the complete Your Voice survey in September this year for all staff. When the time comes, please take the opportunity to have your voice heard. No other tool gives us a better picture of our staff. As we continue on the journey of NeW Directions, it is important to stay involved and provide your feedback.
Tina Crawford Director (Acting) Human Resource Services Questions? Email email@example.com
Director (Acting) Human Resource Services Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resource Services
Questions? Email email@example.com